Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Practicing My Craft

I look back at how I taught classes when I first began and I compassionately see where I was flawed and what I could have done better. Today, I know I can go up there--even with just a few minutes of preparation at times--and steer the ship where it needs to go. When I facilitate a discussion and others become involved, time seems to fly by. It feels natural and fun.

I like what I do for a living. I know this because I spend my down time thinking about how I can improve or what I can do next, even for things somewhat down the road that may or may not happen (a dangerous tightrope to meander the whole worrying about the future thing). I requested the opportunity to teach a section of English 250--Understaning Lit--because of the freedom I'd have to choose readings. Thinking about this excites me and I'm sure I look like a stupid eager beaver when discussing this, which can't be a bad thing I suppose. I'm sobered by the fact that this will probably not happen this early in my pro career, but here's to hoping.

I haven't written here for some time--shocker, I know!--and it was nice to take advantage of the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment